· Private Messages
· Search
· Statistics
· Your Account

Total Hits

We received
page views since 2007 09 03

AdTwr2

My70sRadio :: View topic - GoldCast is Here!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

GoldCast is Here!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    My70sRadio Forum Index -> Playlist
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tjoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: 2008 04 10 - 10:01 am    Post subject: GoldCast is Here! Reply with quote

GoldCast is Here!

My70sRadio GoldCast is a way for me to play a "Best Of" sample of songs from different genres. Presently there are 4 genres: Dance, Easy, Pop, and Rock. Newly added Christmas!! These are open to registered users only. GoldCast also provides a backup in the event that the main radio station stream is interrupted (ISP outages, server crash, etc.)

The main radio stream at My70sRadio.com is free and open to the public, where you listen to and request songs from my entire 70s library (approx. 3500 songs as of November 2009 and constantly growing!). Requested songs are put in the queue with other requested songs and played in turn. There are a few restrictions to this, such as number of songs you are allowed to put in the queue at a time, not being able to request the same song if it is already in the queue, etc. The songs are streamed out to everyone at the same time, so you are hearing the exact song at the same time as everyone else. This stream is served by a dedicated server, separate from the main site server.

GoldCast is different! First, what you listen to is totally private. No one else is listening to the exact same thing you are (although they might be on the same song in the list by coincidence). You might be able to change the order of the songs or pick and choose the ones you want to listen too - over and over and over if you like. Second, this is a sample of what is available at the main station. I have taken what I believe are to be the best songs (or at least more popular from the radio in those days or most requested here) in my library from each genre, and placed them in their own separate area of the main site's server. Then, I chose a small sample of those songs and made a playlist that your player runs.

When you go to the GoldCast page (for registered users only, find link on this page: http://www.My70sRadio.com/forums ), you are given the option to play either of the 5 genres by using the MyTjoePlayer (a browser popup) or loading the playlist into your own media player (WinAmp, Windows Media Player, etc.). There are pros and cons to either way.

MyTjoePlayer:
Pros - It takes hardly any resources to run on your computer. You launch it and the popup begins playing the first song in the list. You don't have to install anything (I have not tested this on a mac or linux system yet). You can advance to the next song or go back to the previous song.
Cons - You cannot see the playlist so you cannot pick and choose songs directly. You cannot make it play the list in random order (shuffle). In Firefox, some versions might not show the name of the current song (works fine in Internet Explorer though).

Your Own Media Player: (pros and cons depend on your player. I tested in WinAmp and Windows Media Player)
Pros - You can see the playlist. You can shuffle the list (random order). You can pick and choose specific songs to play. You can see the name of the currently playing song.
Cons - May have to install a media player. Some media players take up a lot of system resources. It might take 2 or 3 steps to make it start in your player.

Directions
Access the GoldCast page by going to the board Home page ( http://www.My70sRadio.com/forums ) and look for the message regarding GoldCast. If you do not see the message about GoldCast, then you are probably not logged on to the forum. The GoldCast is for registered users only. Log on (or register and then log on) and go to the board home page. In the GoldCast message is a link to the main GoldCast page - click that. Once there, you have your choice of player (as mentioned above, each with their own pros and cons).
If choosing the MyTjoePlayer (links on the left), just click the genre that you want and the player window should popup and start the music. You can use the Next and Previous buttons to scroll through the songs.
If using your own media player (the links on the right), you may be told that you are about to download a file (has a .m3u extension) and asked what to do with it. Just select the "open" option. Your player will then startup and the playlist loaded into it. Depending on your operating system and other software, your player may start playing automatically or you might have to press Play. You can use the Next and Previous buttons to scroll through the songs. You can also view the Playlist and choose your own songs, or use the shuffle (random) feature.

Please remember that GoldCast is just a sample of the library at My70sRadio.com and is not meant to take the place of the station. When I add new music to the main station, it may take awhile before a sample of them arrives at GoldCast. Also, I will try to remember to change up the playlist from time to time.

Please let me know if you use this and if you have any comments on it. The interface will be getting some more attention when I get more time (launch buttons may become graphical, etc.). I'm really interested to know if you find this new feature useful.

Stay Groovy!
Tjoe
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    My70sRadio Forum Index -> Playlist All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: