Breaker Breaker!

admin
Site Admin

Breaker Breaker!

Post by admin » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:52 pm

Breaker Breaker!

(Don't forget to listen to great CB songs here on My70sRadio.com - Go to the requests page and select Truckin' from the quick-list.)

In the mid 70s, Citizen Band radio (CB) had moved out of the domain of mostly Truckers to that of every kind of ratchet jaw there was. It seemed like every car and truck had a CB antenna on it somewhere, and it was becoming commonplace to see someone putting up an antenna on the roof of their house. This shift was do largely in part to the increasing popularity of truckin' music on the Pop radio stations, the most popular being C.W. McCall's "Convoy". Popularity was also helped with movies like Smokey and the Bandit.

Now, it wasn't required to have a CB Handle in order to use a radio, but it was certainly part of the culture to have something other than just your name. Names typically fell into a few categories: one that was very descriptive of you ("Carrot Top" if you were a redhead or Jabber Jaw if you liked to talk a lot), or something that was very misleading of you (like about a million "Foxy Lady"s out there that quite frankly were NOT foxy), or something that you thought would be easy for people to remember who you were.

By the way, for those of you who were not around for CBs, think of them as like a username here at My70sRadio, or your MySpace name, or a special email name, and you'll get the picture. And, since there were a limited number of channels, most people hung out on the same channel, sharing each other's conversations - kind of like our chat box here. There wasn't really any privacy. You could switch to a less crowded channel, but it was by no means exclusive - anyone could listen in.

Since you weren't required to register them - hell, you didn't even need a license or permit for a radio, just a loose agreement that you wouldn't violate any FCC rules - some people would change handles a number of times before they landed on one that they liked the best.

So, let us know what your old handle or handles were, and maybe even the type of equipment you used.

You can also share certain memorable CB events. For instance, CBs were mostly local area radio. Home radios could go maybe 20 miles, depending on the kind of equipment. Car radios could go 5 miles or so, again depending on the kind of equipment you had. So, it was entirely likely to meet people on the air and then decide to meet face to face if you liked them. Of course, like in the truckin' song Teddy Bear (by Red Sovine), lots of people might just join you while meeting that blind date.

So, hammer-down and give us a shout, we'll read you 5 by 5

BTW, here's a good page for CB lingo and 10-codes. Read through some and see what you remember (it even has diner (choke and puke, greasy spoon) lingo.
http://gwally.com/directions/pdf/cblingo.pdf

Tjoe

Re: Breaker Breaker!

Post by Tjoe » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:53 pm

So, I had one that I didn't like (Steppin' Stairs). Yeah... see? sucked!

I kept trying to think of descriptive ones, or opposite ones, but nothing sounded right. Then a friend and I came up with Purple Chicken - It was so random that I loved it.

A year or so later, I got my first Firebird. A nickname for a Firebird was called a Fire Chicken due to the graphic on the hood of certain Trans Am versions: fire coming out of the beak of the bird. So, when I would announce myself, sometimes I was the Purple Chicken in the Fire Chicken.

Lame? Sure! But there were a lot worse out there :P

Okay, I did have one blind-date from a meeting on the CB. She went by the handle of Foxy Girl. Yeah, but I didn't know back then that most of the "Foxy" ones, weren't. Not that she was ugly, but man she was obnoxious. I think we went out twice before we both agreed that we weren't right for each other.

Equipment: I was the first one in our family to buy a CB, and I bought it for my dad for his car. I already had my license and was working, so I had money burning a hole in my pocket. I spent a lot of time ogling over the shiny stuff at Radio Shack. At christmas time, I bought a radio and antenna for him. Those made great gifts back then. This one was nice looking for its day. We ended up getting a special trunk mount since the one I got him wanted you to drill a hole in your trunk. After a year or so, he bought himself a better one, and I already had one of my own, so we moved his in the house and put an antenna on the roof. We didn't have any special amplifiers or anything so the range was just average. We lived at the edge of farm country so there wasn't a lot of interference.

It's funny to see how the different generations had their certain way of communicating. Party-Lines that gave way to CBs that gave way to internet chat rooms that gave way to today's IMs and text messaging.

That's it. I'm 10-10 and on the side.
Tjoe